Firefighters investigate blaze that sent smoke billowing through the North End

Firefighter investigate a blaze in the North End Wednesday evening that poured smoke into the air.

Officials said that the fire started inside a third floor apartment on the 200 block of Hanover Street above North End restaurant Trattoria Il Panino. The restaurant had to stop service for the firefighters to fight the blaze.

“I just heard fire engines, cop cars, one after another, you hear them usually, but not like this,” said David Nylin, a former Malden firefighter who was in the North End at the time of the blaze. “I could tell by the smell, that’s a house fire, that’s a structure fire.”

Firefighters were met with some challenges, having to work within the narrow streets of the North End.

“So as you can see the streets are as narrow as it is, when the outdoor dining was designed, it took over parking spaces,” said Boston Fire Department Commissioner Jack Dempsy. “We would’ve had the cars anyways, but this certainly doesn’t help out.”

According to the fire department, there were no injuries but the apartment building has sustained some smoke and water damage.

“The buildings are so small, you don’t know if people get out safe. I had the chills just watching.. Everyone knows each other here, so it’s scary,” said Amanda Sorto who works one street over from the apartment.

Published
Categorized as Sports